Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Sea Sick!

Yowzers.  Yesterday, Dax and I had the roughest day on a boat either of us had ever had in our lives.  It's about an hour's boat ride from Koh Samui to Koh Tao on a "speed catamaran," and on choppy seas, it's one of the hardest hours you'll ever experience.  Everyone around us was pale as a ghost and puking into black plastic bags that the were passed out by the crew.  I think I vomited 4 or 5 times and Dax maybe 3.  I tried to keep my gaze straight ahead and to focus on the horizon, but instead all I could see were 15 foot swells and lot's of white caps.  I think we were so happy to be on land by the time we got in that we were fairly energetic for our scuba orientation that afternoon.  We had a nice thai dinner at our hotel for super cheap, watched a James Bond movie: The Man with the Golden Gun on HBO (they've been showing a bunch of Bond movies and we've been enjoying watching them throughout our trip), and passed right out.  When I woke up this morning though, my stomach felt a bit tied up in knots, and I ended up puking again after less than an hour into our first real day of scuba training.  We were supposed to go out on the water this afternoon, but the instructor switched some stuff around so that all we did today was course work and watch videos.

During lunch I napped on a couch and Dax went and got me some white rice, which helped a bunch, so that was good.  He's not at 100% but at least he's got energy and didn't loose any of his meals today. There's one other student in our course named Lucas, from the Czech Republic.  I apologized and thanked him for being so cool about not going out on the water today.

I'm chilling in the room for a while while Dax and Elias go out for a walk and drop off our laundry.  It feels good to relax and take it easy.

For the next and every subsequent boat ride we go on, we will have motion sickness pills at the ready, believe you me.

To the parental units and other loved ones that might have tendencies toward worry, don't worry, we are okay, young, and healthy and are totally getting through this.  Thank goodness it wasn't from eating a bad piece of fish or something.  Knocking on wood... we've been very lucky health-wise until now.  Well, not if you count mosquito bites... they love our sweet sweet foreign blood... oh, and a few bruises here and there, but those are to be expected I'm sure.  Okay that's it.  The good news is that we're on Koh Tao, our 2nd island in Thailand and our 5th destination of the trip, so half way in to our epic journey, things are going quite well.

Swat Dee Kah!

No comments:

Post a Comment