Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Tips for surviving in Hong Kong

Tips for surviving in Hong Kong:
  1. If you're on a sidewalk, waiting for a walk light, watching cars whiz passed you inches away from your face, you're doing it wrong!  Look up and find an aerial walk way.  Or, if you're in Kowloon, look for a "Subway" sign and go under ground.  There are huge networks of underground walkways where pedestrians have the right of way, but remember to walk on the left side - we are in a former British colony after all.  Need a snack, beverage, or Nuetrogena  moisturizing hand cream?  Look no further.  The subways are flanked with shops containing anything you could possibly need.  If you walk long enough, you're bound to run into an actual mall entrance.  Enjoy department store shopping on your commute!
  2. Looking for something touristy to do?  Go see the Botanical and Zoological Gardens.  Entrance is free and there's no waiting in lines.  The Giant Buddha at Po Lin Monastery was cool and all, but what I might not have expounded upon in my last post was that there were tons of tourists, long lines, and someone trying to sell you something at every turn.  By contrast, the Zoological gardens contained exotic and rare species of lizards, birds, primates and rodents, and didn't cost a thing.  I took some pictures of the flowers too, as they were nearly as spectacular as the animals.  There was a large fountain with colonial style terraces where we found a man doing tai chi.  Dax and I enjoyed a brief rest on a stone bench inside a tall green garden accessed by narrow stone winding pathways.  The public toilets here are plentiful, clean, and awesomely enough, consisting of both western and eastern style toilets.  After going on and on to Dax about how I learned on my trip to Japan that easter style toilets are better for evacuation,  I knew I had to use one at least once on my trip.  I really do like them.  I want one for my apartment.  
  3. There aren't too many carnivorous bugs here, but it still might be a good idea to wear bug spray.  I got a nasty bite on the back of my calf my first day here, and the huge itchy red mark does not seem to have gone down in size in the last two days... sorry if that was TMI.  
  4. Remember, when travelling, consider carefully your traveling companion.  It doesn't hurt to bring with you the love of your life.  :)
Some pictures of our day:

We took the Star Ferry across the harbor again today.  It's been operating since 1880.  

Interesting seat belt policies.
Btw, we took a cab to the gardens after failing to navigate the bus system.  Oops!
To our credit, we had a nice walk back to the ferry terminal at the end of the day.  

Happy Dax entering the botanical gardens. 

Pretty fountain. 

Beautiful flowers.  Bess, what kind are they?

Just hanging around. 

Happy travelers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment